Our troop is getting ready for a Court of Honor. As I look over the Needs Approval report I noticed there merit badge requirements listed for many scouts that are unchecked and need to be completed. But, below the requirement it shows that it was completed and approved by the counselor. Why is it on the Needs Approval report if it states the counselor already approved it?
When a Merit Badge Counselor approves a Merit Badge requirement and/or final completion, the completion check box will remain green but the requirement and/or final completion will be noted “Approved by Counselor”. The requirement and/or final completion will be placed on the Needs Approval report for a unit leader to approve. The unit leader approval will change the completion check box light blue.
Once a unit leader has approved the Merit Badge final completion, it will be included in the advancement sync to council.
As a result of this change, if you have Scout’s with Merit Badge requirements or final completion only approved by a Counselor, you will see these items on your Needs Approval report. You can approve these items just as you would any other item on the Needs Approval report.
Having unit leaders involved in the approval process supports Guide to Advancement 22.214.171.124 The Process of Counseling: Recommended Merit Badge Process #9:
Recommended Merit Badge Process
- The Scout develops an interest in a merit badge and may begin working on the requirements.
- The Scout discusses his interest in the merit badge with his unit leader.
- The unit leader signs a blue card and provides the Scout with at least one counselor contact.
- The Scout contacts the counselor.
- The counselor considers any work toward requirements completed prior to the initial discussion with the unit leader.
- The Scout, his buddy, and the counselor meet (often several times).
- The Scout finishes the requirements.
- The counselor approves completion.
- The Scout returns the signed blue card to his unit leader, who signs the applicant record section of the blue card.
- The unit leader gives the Scout the applicant record.
- The unit reports the merit badge to the council.
- The Scout receives his merit badge.